Thursday 10 October 2013

Six Word Memoir De-Brief

What did I learn about storytelling?

One of the things I learned about storytelling is that stories don't always have to be words. Although we used words in this project, I learned that sometimes pictures can tell just as much of a story as words can. I also learned that minimal words can and equivalent story as 60. This project showed me that stories can very easily be told in minimal words and that sometimes, saying less may actually be better than saying more. Finally, I learned that punctuation is key in storytelling. Explanation marks, ellipsis' and other forms of punctuation add to your story.

Where did I show my knowledge about using storytelling skills?

I showed that punctuation is very important in storytelling when I used various different forms in my memoirs. I used explanation marks, commas and ellipsis' to add to each memoir and help tell the story. I learned through this assignment that pictures can sometimes tell more of a story than words. I noticed this more so with my classmates memoirs, but in two of mine also. In my memoirs for hate and my past, I think that the picture tells just as much of a story, if not more, than the actual memoir does.

What did I learn as a reader, writer, thinker, storyteller?


From this assignment, I learned that as a writer and storyteller you can use minimal words to tell a story. The saying "less is more" describes one of the things I learned. It was a challenge to use just six words to describe a whole aspect of your life, but it gave me a new respect for writers and storytellers. I also learned that some words can have different meanings when telling a story. As a reader, I learned that not every sentence means what you think it does. Sometimes you have to read a sentence or phrase 2 or more times before you can truly understand the meaning behind it.

No comments:

Post a Comment